Friday, February 11, 2011

Pomo Dancer & Prayer for the Gulf

I was working on paintings for Sebastopol's first Pomo Honoring month during the weeks of the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Even before I took time out to paint specifically a Prayer for the Gulf, my concern for the beings of the Gulf waters was spilling into my work.

In Dancer & Pelicans (acrylic on canvas, 24 x 18") I depict a young dancer sending healing energy to the Gulf, where the pelicans visibly benefit from the power of her dance.

Weeks later, when the spill had been capped & the painting was on exhibit at Sebastopol Gallery, the dancer saw this painting of herself. Tears came to her eyes as she told me that all summer she had been offering her dancing as prayer for the Gulf: its waters, its creatures, its people. Which brought tears to mine.

The pathways of healing are mysterious. I'm reading Nassim Taleb's book, The Black Swan, about the "impact of the highly improbable." He mentions the possibility that our most important heroes are unknown, because their obscure work has actually prevented the disasters where more standard heroes shine.

I'm certain that Rose's dancing is heroic, & hope that at least some of my paintings are a force against disasters that never happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment